Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Paths


It was a few weeks before Christmas 2013 when I asked our astronomy friend and engineer, "Al, would you be willing to take a few family pictures of us with that amazing camera of yours?"  He was enthusiastic and very willing.  We met at the John Deere Pavilion on a cold wintry and windy December.  The Pavilion was warm and, as always, filled with amazing John Deere equipment - from monster tractors and combines to tree processors.  Yellow and green and heavy metal everywhere.  Some festive white lights on the Christmas tree at the main entrance.

We stood in front of and beside almost every piece of equipment.  I don't even remember what the background of this photo was.  Some huge industrial green machine with many large black hydraulic hoses and engine.

Ben has gotten tall.  Ally is a young lady.  And Farmer Husband Gary and I are more "seasoned".  It is good to capture this moment in our lives.

Farmer Husband Gary mentions in an inconsequential manner, "Yeah, we needed a family photo before Chris lost all her hair..." For awhile the comment does not register with our friend.... or at least he does not question it.  But after what seemed a bazillion shots and poses, Farmer Husband slows down his walking while the children and I proceed to the exit.  "Chris has breast cancer.  Sure do appreciate you taking our picture."

So here we are.  A new journey.  A path through prickly thorns and brambles.  But I can see it. The path, that is.  It has been traveled before.  Visions of hope, struggle, vulnerability, and some uncertainty.  I've only just begun.  The last two months have seen mammograms, MRIs, CT scans, blood work, four more biopsies, an echocardiogram, and visits to Mayo. Now, after two months I will begin the first incline on this long unexpected journey.  Next week a port placement and then five days later the "medicine" which is supposed to stop the malignancy from growing, will begin.  A divergent path.  "Ah, really.... can we stick to the one I was on?"  Yet, the assurance of the One.  Emmanuel. God with us, is ever present. "No... but I am with you....regardless... always."

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed for I am your God.  I will strengthen you. I will help you.  I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)

Today's Journey Joys: crunchy white snow, warm cozy home, sun shining through pale blue winter skies, school vacations, a plan, homemade chicken noodle soup, friends more amazing than I could hope for.


Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...