Friday, September 26, 2008

Unassuming Joy

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139: 14-16


One of the most wonderful things about having children is experiencing their wonder of life. Surely one can see the joy of amazement in my daughter's face. "Where'd this pumpkin come from mommy? It's heavy." I respond, "We planted the pumpkins in the garden this spring. They grew. Don't they look lovely? Maybe this weekend we will make a pie." She looks at the little sugar pie pumpkin with wonder. You can almost hear her thinking, "How does this round thing become pumpkin pie?" But she simply states with excitement, "Yum!" It doesn't matter the long hours of weeding, tending, planting and harvesting... there is simple and unassuming joy in the eyes of my special daughter.


It is so much fun to see her smiles and experience the joy of life through her. So honest, sincere, pure. A love of life and people. A hugger of friends and animals. Trusting...happy... content.
"Fearfully and wonderfully made" indeed. What would a world with children and adults with trisomy 21 look like? Happy, hugging, content, observant, sometimes impulsive; sometimes contemplative, life embracing, people embracing, loving, fun, restful and slower paced. The world would be absent of the frenetic pace of work, achievement and success. Anxiety, bitterness, burnout and double talk would be a thing of the past. Politics would be straight forward, bosses would work along side and enjoy the process. Life would be full of music and dancing. Hmmm.... maybe we would all be better if instead of 23 pairs of chromosomes we all had an extra one on our 21st?

Today's Journey Joy: embracing the embracer of life - my daughter

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...