Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The First Chemo Day

Teri's tan minivan crunches its way up the snow ice driveway precisely at 9:45.  She is my chauffeur. "Are you ready for this?" she asks encouragingly.

"No, probably not," I smile and laugh.  "But it's time."

I must be nervous.  I can't find my bag, my snacks, or my purse.  Where'd I put them?  Oh yeah, here they are.  "Do you want a banana muffin Teri?"  I smear white cream cheese frosting within the yummy muffin.  "I don't bake often but the kids.... but well, the kids wanted some... and the bananas were perfect for baking."

We grab everything.  It looks like I'm going on a three day trip.  Can anyone say, "kitchen sink?"  Yes, it appears that I am bringing my whole office to this first chemo appointment.  But I have things to do and five hours to do it in.  Might as well make the most of the opportunity.

It is a chilly and very windy day with gusts exceeding 30 mph. (Some say 50+).  The sky is gray.  No blue. No warm yellow sun. And we drive to the infusion center located at my oncologist's office (handy).  Teri drives a different and quicker way than I usually do.  "Oh, we're here...already," I mention.  "I could drive around the block a few times if you'd like," she says with a grin.  Breathe.  "Naw, let's go."

Breathe again.  I clamber out of the van with three different bags - computer bag, purse, and snack bag. Teri grabs a gift bag for me filled with really smart things - lifesavers to suck on and mask the funny taste chemo gives, an amazing cup which keeps things cold or hot really long, apple juice, and a few other snacks.

I meet nurse Lori at the door.  She is warm and friendly and encouraging.  She gets to business right away.  "Ah, your port is pretty pink still. When did it go in?"  And I mention it was five days ago and that is has been that color since the day it was inserted.  She seems relieved and proceeds to clean it and then access the port with her special needle.  She secures it with some nice clear adhesive tape and then attaches me to the normal saline.  After some vital signs, the infusion begins.  My nose feels stuffy almost immediately but that was the worst of it.

Six hours later, three agents, and three premeds later I am released to home.  I napped about 45 minutes with the effects of the Benadryl but am fine by the time it is to leave.  "I think next time I can do this myself," I inform Teri. "I feel like I could drive even now." But I am strangely tired.  Not a muscle tired or brain tired.  But a different tired.  Perhaps weary? I so enjoyed Teri being with me.  She was a pro and an excellent friend and support.  It was only two years ago when she sat where I was today.  It was reassuring to listen to her words of sound wisdom and grace.  What a blessing.

In all my bags, I forgot the camera.  Oops.

Today's Journey Joys: amazing friends, pineapple life savers, friendly and efficient nurses, warm blue blanket, medicine to keep the tummy quiet, peace.... grace and peace...

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...