Sunday, January 12, 2014

The cutting of the mane

As she spoke, Jo took off her bonnet, and a general outcry arose, for all her abundant hair was cut short. “Your hair! Your beautiful hair! Oh, Jo, how could you? Your one beauty….” (Louisa May Alcott, Little Women).


Sizing it up.  Can you tell I'm a tad nervous?
Dividing and conquering

Who knew there was a curl under all that hair?

Debi.... the best!  Thank you!
Debi and Mike brought croissants, sliced turkey, black forest ham and roast beef.  And all the trimmings. And in that pink little basin?  All of Debi's styling materials.  Scissors, razors, combs, clips, and "products".

Today was the day when another baby step toward the Journey was taken.  In a couple of days I will be receiving a medication (among others) called paclitaxel.  This drug is meant to help prevent the cancerous cells from becoming invasive.  It also has this one other effect - it makes one lose her hairs.  Because of this I was encouraged to have my rather long hair cut before chemotherapy.  I guess loosing three inch hair is a little easier than losing 15 inch strands.  

Debi called it, "sassy".  Think I may need a little "sassy" in the days to come.

Today's Journey Joys: gracious friends, shiny clippers, scalp massage, turkey sandwiches, winter sunshine through the panes, son teaching software, and "sassiness".

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...