Monday, January 13, 2014

Step


Step.

The single complete movement of raising one foot and putting it down in another spot.....” (The Free Dictionary).

A movement made by lifting your foot and putting it down in a different place” (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

Step.

Step. Step. Step.

Step. Step. Step. Step. Step.

Many folks over the years have made a tradition out of professing some type of annual resolution.  I did that a few times as a young adult many moons ago.  Never achieving the resolution, always unobtainable, usually unrealistic.  For the past few years I have discovered, like many souls, that a focus or purpose is more necessary than a list of actions to take, or not to take.

This year I have chosen the word "Step".

The purposeful placement of me.... moving....in a particular direction.  Carried by the knowledge and faith that this current journey is not a "wrong" turn, but an unforeseen one. 

I like this word for its action, movement, and resolve.  It's not a race, a particular length, a particular pace.  But a methodical resolve to tread ahead.  In spite of knowing that the upcoming path is precarious... I will step.  Today.  One foot at a time. 

Step. 

Step. Step. Step.

And as I step, I chose joy.  Sometimes through tears.  Sometimes through laughter.  Sometimes in pain.  Sometimes in rest.  But as I step, I chose joy.   

"For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord.  Plans for peace and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11)

Today's Journey Joys: broken crusty leaves floating down water rivuletscondensation balling on the panes, my hair locks given, winter thaw, a balmy thirty seven degrees and wonderful sunshine, friends picking up children.

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...