Monday, July 10, 2017

Berries, Picking & Waiting

The end of June marks the beginning of the annual race between blueberry picking, weeding, and summer planting.  The juggle of horticultural demands this year has brought me to the realization that in spite of my visions of weed-free rows, blooming flowers, heavily bearing fruit, and only happy helpful insects landing on my plants - fruit and vegetable farming is hard.  Hard, laborious-at-times, back-aching work. 

"I don't know how you do it all!" I hear from folks almost every week.  And I remind them ever so gently, that I don't do it all.  They only need look around the farm to see the challenges of clutter and chaos here and there.  But I do press on.  Keep moving. Until I can't move anymore or Ally-girl emphatically invites me to come inside and make dinner.


Two years ago, when I was recovering from the chemo, radiation and multiple surgeries for cancer, we planted about 400 more blueberry bushes.  These were different varieties from our typical three.  I ordered some Cargo, Blue Ribbon and Last Call to extend my season. (All patented varieties). Blue Ribbon is producing nicely - big beautiful sweet berries.  Can't wait until these plants mature.  I already told Bethany, my picking helper, that we will save these for us in the coming years - and let the U-pickers pick the other varieties.


This year the field was grassier than usual.  I was not able to clean the field like I prefer as this Spring we were busy building an access road to our new homestead.  While picking, twice I was stung by yellow jackets.  And once, when I was picking dreamily on a summer's morn, I almost put my hand in this bald-faced hornet nest.  Thankfully they were not concerned about me.  But I did eliminate them.


Our Indian Summer Echinacea is blooming beautifully.  A joy to behold as the blooms are prolific.  The bumbles happy.


And our new plantings of blue berries for this year has begun.  We amended the soil and made these beds a month or so back.  While the boys were away in Alaska I was able to plant about 200 of the 1000 plants purchased.  It was slow work in the heat. We are planting Draper and Bluecrop over here.  I am hopeful the water-permeable plastic mulch will help my woes in weeding.


Apple blossom snapdragons are amazing!  These seeds were an impulse buy over the winter.  I started them in March and transplanted them with the rest of the snapdragons.  They are gorgeous.


And I've tried my hand out in the baking section of life these past few weeks.  I made my first ever blueberry pie.  It was scrumptious.  Then I tried blueberry cobbler - which I found to be "ok".  And then I made these really cool blueberry muffins.  They've all been a hit.

One more week of blueberry picking and then gleaning the field for syrup berries the following week and then the blue berry season will be over for this year.  We've had many U-pickers out this year and are hopeful to invite even more the following year. Then it is the arduous task of pulling and weeding all those plants so that they can prepare for next year. Somehow fitting that task with weeding the raspberries, building trellises, harvesting tomatoes, summer squash and cucumbers, and planting beans (again).  It's been a particularly difficult year to grow - lack of rain, bugs (Japanese beetles everywhere!) and rabbits.  Those adorable looking creatures with cute little soft noses ate the top of my sweet potato vines and all my melon starts.  And they keep eating the tops of the bean plants.  So no beans yet and it's already July.

News on the farm home - we are waiting.  Waiting for plumbing rough-in, inspection, and flatwork.  The building materials are supposed to come this Saturday but the site will not be ready.  I am doubtful the concrete guys will be able to get the flatwork done this week.

Today's Journey Joys: Air conditioning in 90+ high humidity weather (sure is great to cool down after weeding all day), ice cream, voice lessons for Ally-girl, the guys being home from their father-son trip to Alaska, friends for coffee, baby kittens frolicking, bees making honey, flowers in bloom, bats flittering, owls hooting, crickets singing, warm tea, refreshing showers... all the while being grateful, being thankful, for the gracious amazing and bountiful gifts from the Giver.

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...