Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Still more plantings...

In March I started some various types of pepper (cayenne, Hungarian hot peppers, red, yellow and green bell peppers) and tomatoes (yellow, gold, and red cherry and grape tomatoes). Unfortunately my labeling system was faulty. I had cleverly hot glued the paper label to toothpicks and placed them in their respective rows. But, as you have already surmised, the paper fell off and disintegrated over the two months in my basement growing center. So hopefully I will "discover" which type of pepper and tomato I planted as they mature. Oops. Next year I will use used plastic milk jugs and cut some label markers. Permanent marker should do the trick.

I finished planting the Diamond and Alibi cucumbers next to the trellis where I had planted the burpless ones last week. I also got the beets, edamame soybeans (not for me.... a friend requested some), turnips (or were those parsnips?), small red sunflowers, yellow bush beans, and the second planting of sweet corn (10,000 more seeds). Today I hope to weed my three rows of blueberries, finish weeding the garlic, plant the spaghetti squash and some of the pumpkins. I also need to clear out the basement of the leftover flowers and prepare for honey harvest next weekend. Probably too ambitious.

Last Saturday I went to a different Farmers Market. People have commented over and over again that I should go to this particular market.... but I have been reluctant. It is huge (a good thing - over 200 vendors!), but vendors can go to the local food distributor outlet and "resell" things. Hardly seems "local". And I certainly am. The experience was good though. Yes, there were vendors who were selling melons, sweet corn, garlic, squash, and other non-seasonal items... but I can't tell you how many times people asked me, "Did you grow this?" "Where are you from?" So the local thing is important to some people at least. So I will be back. As I get more and more produce I hope to sell out every market day... or at least close. My wonderful husband will go to the other market when blueberries and sweet corn are ripe. Since we've paid for the other market already.... that way we can hopefully capture the local area. (Wow, this sounds very business - like).

The experiment of selling flowers was a failure. Didn't even break even. A good learning experience though. I've already made plans to change. For next year's spring markets I will sell popcorn and dried beans. Those are two items that I can take home and store if they do not sell. Perhaps I will plant some asparagus and some radishes and green onions as well. And maybe just a few flowers....

Time for a few more plantings....

Today's Journey Joy - learning

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...