Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Blueberries


Have you ever seen so many berries on one little plant? We planted these plants last year. It was quite an endeavor. (Check out last year's blogs for more details if you desire.) I took off all the blueberry flowers last year in order to allow the roots and plants to become well established. It was difficult but necessary. This year the flowers were left to become fruit. And our mighty little bumble bees and honey bees did their pollination job with gusto. Look at all those berries! This particular blueberry plant is known as "Reka". It is an early ripening variety developed in one of my most favorite countries: New Zealand. The berries are sweet and pick easily. I can only imagine how many berries they will produce when the plants are more mature.

The evening rains have washed these berries fresh and clean. Picking begins in two days. I tried picking a few berries.... they were great but unfortunately some of them were just a little premature and therefore a bit tart. So... I will be patient and allow the sun to sweeten the berries.
I'm hoping to take many pints to the market on Saturday. Perhaps there will still be some strawberries and if I have time, I'll grab some mulberries as well. The snow peas are ready to pick and I'll even try bringing some rocambole garlic scapes. But today I will enjoy watching the berries ripen.
Today's Journey Joy: anticipating blue sweetness

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...