Monday, June 14, 2010

Raining (Again)


Everywhere I look water seems to be accumulating.  It is raining again.  Still.  And more is forecasted.  Typically a farmer appreciates rain... longs for it.  It is the sustaining hydration for the growing plants.  But much like any powerful asset, too much can bring damage.  Only a few of the blueberries are threatened.  But the corn and beans are soaked.  The grass in their respective rows is the only plant that thrives in this environment.  And because the fields are wet and waterlogged, I can not rescue the young plants.  The grass will grow and impair the strength of the crop.  The rain will make for a lot of difficult weeding in future days.

Saturday's market started precariously.  I left our small farm at 6:30.  The western sky was deep gray and there were rumbles in the distance.  "Oh, no." I thought.  I momentarily dreamed of jumping back into bed and sleeping the morning.  But there were thirty five pints of just picked blueberries and 8 quarts of the last of the strawberries in the vehicle.  I had to sell the fresh fruit.  It would not keep until the next market on Wednesday.  And my hard working and supportive husband had worked hard at preparing more smoking chips and chunks.  Although they would keep until the next market I was reluctant to stay home and not try to sell them.

So off I went to the market.  At 6:50 when I pulled up to my spot, the rain had just started.  With the help of my neighborly vendor I got my canopy up, weighted and secured with tie-down straps to the back wheels of my SUV.  Then I held on.... The wind blew.  The rain came down in torrents.  And the lightening and thunder filled the river front sky with adventure.  Well.... perhaps adventure is not the right word.  Frankly, I was a bit scared.  Standing under a canopy.... even a weighted down and secured canopy.... holding on to aluminum structures.... and watching a storm pass overhead was a bit unnerving.  I love watching storms.... not being in them.  But the worst of the storm was done in 30 minutes and I was able to set up my tables.  Blueberries, strawberries, mulberries, just harvested spring honey, bizarre looking garlic scapes, geraniums, wave petunias, and apple and hickory smoking chips and chunks filled my table.  And as the wind and rains dissipated, the kind brave folks came out.  Eventually I sold out of the fruit.  The honey and chips sold well throughout the day.  And I only went home with about 100 garlic scapes.  (I took about 500). 

One hour into the market I realized that I had forgotten my beautiful signs.  My always helpful farmer's husband called and volunteered to bring them to me.  "Oh, thank you!" I thought.  He had not been to this market before and I had hoped he would get a chance to see how wonderful it was.  So it was with a grateful and happy heart I saw him and my daughter coming down the aisle about 30 minutes later.  And the best part was that they stayed!  It was great to have them there.  I loved hearing him describe what a garlic scape was and how to use it.  And folks listened attentively.  Perhaps a guy with a Saturday morning beard dressed in a short sleeve shirt and pants led credibility to the message.  But folks listened and bought those scapes.  And he even sold the $25 honey bucket.  It sure was great having him there.

So today, Monday it rains again.  The children and I will have to be indoors.  But there is plenty to do.  Perhaps I'll even get that kitchen floor washed.....

Today's Journey Joy - pitter-pattering of rain

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...