Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Powdery Dust


The shadows linger longly over the freshly tilled soil. The sun sets in a somber somnolent manner. And I feel it with her. The day was filled with tractoring, hazy heat, and perspiration. The long rows of promising vegetable seeds planted with plodding care. Foot prints of tired legs and a hopeful heart. This year I am reminded, almost daily, that gardening is a process of faith and hope. "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1). I prepare: I carve into the soil; I place tiny little seeds; I cover and pat. I space; I plan; the Lord waters and brings warmth. The sun heats and empowers. And eventually my garden sown in hope and faith pushes up from powdery dust and develops into a new expression of life.


Tiny little watermelon starts already leaning towards that heat and light.... even though the shadows are becoming long...

My faith journey is much like this. Ever hopeful. Not always seeing.... usually not until many sunsets have been spent.... some times never. But still hopeful. Still leaning. Still dependent on the Giver of life... Resting and yet energized through His power.

Today's Journey Joy: Faith without seeing.

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...