Thursday, June 3, 2010

Spuds

The 1600+ potato seed I planted many weeks ago are thriving. They must like rain. And the mulch my wonderful husband swept up is doing a great job at keeping the weeds down. I always need more but I am pleased with the results in the potatoes.

The Carola golden potatoes have just begun to flower. I was surprised at that. They were the last to peek their heads out of the soil and through the mulch. They are supposed to be a smoother flesh potato than their well known counterpart the "Yukon Gold". In addition the organic farmer who sold me the seed emphasized that the Carola does not have the hollow center problems that often accompany the Yukon Gold. We shall see. I have always liked the Yukon... and it has name recognition. But a better potato is just that. A better potato. I wonder if it makes good french fires? (grin).
The French fingerlings and northland red potatoes are also doing well but no flowers yet. I suspect though that I will have some yummy new potatoes in just a few weeks. Perhaps by the end of the month.

More rain is forecasted for tomorrow. We've already received over 3+ inches since Monday. No more thank you. The weeds in other parts of the garden are overtaking. But pulling them up in this muck also pulls up the plants. And so I weed the blueberries and mulch and pray that the weeds in the broccoli and beans and corn do not hinder their growth.
Today's Journey Joy - flowering potatoes

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...