Thursday, July 22, 2010

Metamorphosis


Anticipation and longing fills my heart today.  To be changed.  From every fiber and bone in my body.  To be made fresh.  To fly.  To flit.  To display the beauty meant to be.

I am but a caterpillar.  A soft, sometimes colorful worm-like creature.  Content on eating and being.  Enjoying the environment.  Going through life with fellow caterpillars.  Creeping and crawling from one adventure to another. The freedom of flight is a hazy idea.  A longing.  But seemingly impossible.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17).



As a believer in Christ the chains to being forever a caterpillar are broken.  A metamorphosis has occurred. And the hope and promise of forever flight is available.  In reality, I am a beautiful, thankful, life-embracing swallowtail.  A golden butterfly changed from the worm-like creature I once was.

And still I forget sometimes.  I see myself through old eyes.  The inner-mirror reflects the green, white and yellow stripes of my crawling self.  I return to the life of familiar crawling because it is known and comfortable. Creeping through the summer days from leaf to leaf.  Forgetful of my wings of freedom. 

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free...." (Galatians 5:1a). 

Remember your delicate, wonderful wings my fellow believers.  See the beauty in the carpet of wild flowers.  Embrace the wind.  Wrap your longing arms around those who flit around with you.  Give grace and love to the caterpillars who yet need to morph.

And fly today.

Today's Journey Joy - New life

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...