Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Day of Reflection

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:29-30).

The day is full before I even begin.  Laundry washing and pegging on the line.  Chicken feeding.  Japanese beetle trap emptying.  Animal watering.  Baby partridge rocks.  Broccoli snipping.  Bean picking.  Onion pulling.  Summer squash amongst the weeds.  Washing dishes.  Washing produce.  Loading the vehicle for the market.  Ice making.  A shower please.  Ninety degree temps with high humidity. Library run.  Five hour farmers market.  Return home.  Unpack vehicle.  Prepare for tomorrow's interview and presentation.  Supper.  Shower again please...

But those are only activities.  Stuff to do.  Not a person to be.  Today I chose to focus not on the many things filling the day but the wonder and joy of remembering the past and experiencing the present.

Green grass, leaves, plants.  Plenty of rain.  Good earth.  Fruiting raspberries.  Purple beans.  Dark red norland new potatoes.  Sterling white onions.  Free range chickens. Mr. Two-Toes and Mr. Bard Rock (MBR for short).  Ten fluffy kittens.  Half a million happy nectar-collecting bees.  A home with air conditioning.  A family of love.  A creative and enterprising son.  A fun-loving, present-living daughter. A wise, hard working, supportive and loving husband.  Friends who know when to tell me to take a break.  A teaching job at a local university.  Opportunities for tenure.  Pursuit of doctorate education.  Learning. Growing.  Hawks soaring just for the fun of it.  Horse weed nine feet tall.  Lawn mowers and tractors.  Clothes flapping on the line. Rest.  New friends at the market.  Freedom. New life.  New joy.

"There is a joy in  the journey.  There is a light we can love on the way.  There is a wonder and wildness to life.  And freedom for all who obey." (Michael Card).

Today's Journey Joy - wonder and wildness of the yoke of Christ

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...