Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Weeds and the "One Thing"


Even weeds are beautiful.  They grow and bloom and reproduce.  They add nitrogen to the soil and keep the hard clay loose.  They prevent erosion.  They provide pollen and nectar.  Food for the bees.  Food for the birds.

But I don't look at weeds as beautiful most days.  In the process of growing strong they also choke the tiny plants I have so lovingly pressed into the soil.  The small seedlings sprout first but become quickly overwhelmed by the weedy biosphere in which they have been sown.  To pull the weeds often ends up pulling the small vegetables.  So I let them grow together... for awhile.  When the plants are strong enough to survive a disruption to their fragile roots, I pull and tug those weeds.  Yank them out with a ripping sound as the soil vibrates with their removal.  The path between the rows becomes covered in weed roots and tops.  But the vegetables survive.  Able to breathe and feed without competition.

I've been growing slowly amongst weeds these past days.  Overwhelmed with competing desires and needs.  A dirty home, piles of laundry, a chicken coop that needs cleaning and painting, weeding, mowing, building, feeding, sleeping, selling.  Imagining.  Picturing a world of completeness and beauty.  But working... working...working...

"And a woman named Martha welcomed him (Jesus) into her house.  And she had a sister called Mary who sat at the Lord's feet and listening to his teaching.  But Martha was distracted with much serving.  And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?  Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary...." (Luke 10:38-42).

When will I learn this?  To listen, absorb, embrace the Lord.  Only that one thing is necessary.  To be molded, transformed, filled with the character of Christ.  That is the one thing.  If I have accomplished numerous tasks throughout the day but have not listened, learned, and loved at the feet of Him who brings purpose and meaning to life, I am only distracted among the weeds.

Martin Luther once said, "Tomorrow I plan to work, work, from early until late. In fact I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer."

The one thing.  May you and I do the one thing, the necessary, today.

Today's Journey Joy - priorities among the weeds

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...