Monday, December 29, 2008

Resolutions or Goals?
























What is the difference between a resolution and a goal? At this time of year it is inevitable that people will announce this or that resolution to start the New Year. They will make elaborate statements. They will strive in their minds to attempt to make a change in their habits, lifestyle or personality. They will rarely have a plan... and hence, most resolutions end up abandoned... the promised hopes a washed in vagueness, defeat, and failure.


Today I am posting a picture of my family. Although a year old it catches us at a time joy. My son had his piano recital in a historic home with beautiful gardens. So we took the opportunity to try to capture one of those elusive family photos. Every year it is one of my goals: to get us together wearing something presentable and everyone smiling. I know, it's a lot to ask. This was as close as we could get. Not perfect. But presentable.


I like to make goals. They help me to focus. I've learned over the years that my goals often do not get completed... they are usually too lofty. But that's OK. I've learned that it's OK to have unobtained goals as long as one is still on the road to getting there. I've found that it usually takes me about three times longer to accomplish something than I thought it would. Here are some of my goals for 2009. Yes, I know there are a lot of them. That's fine with me. In fact, there are many goals not written in this list. They too will be worked.


“Big Personal Goals”

Successful Farmer’s Market (i.e., make a profit!)
Set up banking account
Lay out growing plan and plots
Plan 2 hours everyday of weeding, pruning, maintaining (5-7 AM?)
Pick and clean vegetables and fruit Friday afternoon and pack truck
Purchase table, signs, pop-up tent
Pick fresh vegetables, fruit, eggs Saturday 5-6AM and pack truck
Leave by 7:15
Ledger books? Monitor time and materials
Music (hammered dulcimer, flute, guitar)
Practice 15 minutes 5 days a week on each?
Diet (healthy, balanced and whole)
Eat what you grow
Drink more water
Eliminate pop? (This could be hard... I really enjoy my Dr. Pepper)
Teaching (University and personal)
Complete teaching plans and PowerPoint slides for class
Grade papers at work – do not bring home!
Gardening
Flowers and fun
Mulch
Reading books (fun, educational and edifying)
Why the Universe Is The Way It Is (Hugh Ross)
Then Sings My Soul (Robert Morgan)
The Cell’s Design (Fuz Rana)
Who Made God? (Ravi Zacharias & Norman Geisler)
Quiet & Prayer Time
When? Where? What? This needs attention!
Clean home
De-Clutter! Take stuff to Salvation Army
File as it comes in
Clean as you go
Get the children involved
Organize
Train and play with Katie and Kapow


This list doesn't mention getting the other house ready for sale, painting the chicken coop, homeschooling the children during the summer, teaching them to swim, and many other things. So it is not comprehensive. That's okay. It's a start. And that is why resolutions...I mean, goals, are made.


"Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain." My prayer and hope is that these goals are His goals not mine. And if they are outside of His will then I hope and pray that they never get achieved. In fact, I hope that I am sensitive to His leading and remove them.

May you enjoy the end of the year and look forward with anticipation the coming of Spring and the New Year. Many happy goals....


Today's Journey Joy - making goals

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...