Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Family



Merry Christmas! This year we ventured up to the "best state in the union". You know, Wisconsin. It is so beautiful. The drive was exciting and spectacular to behold. The bluffs of southwestern Wisconsin rose high above us as we traveled. We drove to my Dad's home. It had almost been 2 years since I had seen him and so when he called and asked if we could come up for Christmas I immediately made plans.


Uncle Dave was a big hit. My daughter clung to him and sat on his lap and tickled him. Our son never had someone tickle him so long and so often. They both commented, "I love Uncle Dave." Aren't uncles great? Every child should have one so tireless...


The Christmas celebration was heart warming for me. Spending time with my brother, two of my four sisters, and my Dad made Christmas special. Seeing my nieces (one with two children!) and remembering how many times I held them as babies and toddlers was neat as well. Eating ham, special cheesy mashed potatoes, green beans, fruit salad and crescent rolls brought to mind our family traditional meals. No fudge bottom pie though. We were given the responsibility for dessert and a refrigerated pie does not travel in the car for four hours very well. So we had super duper chocolate chip cookies and peppermint cookies. My aunt Sonija lovingly sent lefsa with my brother (Uncle Dave). Good memories. As a child we would wait plaintively at the dessert table eyeing the lefsa. Yum. We did the same as adults. Yum. As good as I remember. I will definitely have to learn how to make this dessert. It is part of my Norwegian heritage that I hope my children will also enjoy into their Christmas tradition.

We drove back home last evening... had to get here before the storm arrived. It was close but we got out of Wisconsin before the icy snow started to fall. Although it would have been fun to spend more time with my Dad, it was good to be in my own bed with my most wonderful husband and a ten year old boy who snuck into bed with us. Making our own memories aren't we?


Merry Christmas.


Today's Journey Joy: Christmas and family

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...