Sunday, December 21, 2008

Brrrrr... COLD bunny...hop,hop,hop

The snow is blowing... the temps are falling. How long has it been since we have had such a frigid day? The high was zero degrees Fahrenheit. Now it is back to minus two. The wind blows; the harsh sounds whip around the corners leaving drifts and snow dunes. Even the bunnies are too cold to come out and play. I dread having to go outside but the chickens and dogs beckon. They need food and water. Thankfully the chicken coop is insulated with a couple of heating lamps set on a thermostat. It's been 30 degrees in there for the past few hours. (We have a digital thermometer which transmits to the house.) Their water is probably frozen. I should go soon.

But this morning's musings at church have led me to ponder once again... just what were the surroundings of Jesus' birth? Why do we celebrate such a birthday? He came with such little pomp or circumstance. A young pregnant woman, a new husband, a farm stall. No room in the inn. No room anywhere. Was it cold? Was it snowing? Raining? Windy? Did God provide for His little one by using the warmth of animals to protect Jesus from the harsh cold of a birth outside?

We celebrated hope today. Jesus came to bring us hope. True hope. Without God becoming Emmanuel... without Jesus growing and learning... without His teaching and demonstration of love... without the Cross... without the resurrection... all would be cold and dead. We would be cold; we would be dead. Yet there is a Spring. There is hope.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now I'm found,
Was blind but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear,
the hour I first believed.

My chains are gone, I've been set free,
My God, my Savior has ransomed me.
And like a flood His mercy reigns,
Unending love, Amazing Grace

The Lord has promised good to me,
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
the sun forbear to shine.
But God who called me here below,
Will be forever mine,
Will be forever mine,
You are forever mine.

(John Newton, John P. Rees & Edwin Othello Excell; Chris Tomlin & Louie Giglio)

Today's Journey Joy: Hope

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...