Thursday, December 11, 2008

Laying in the Thorns

Eggs... aren't they supposed to be in the nesting box? I found these this summer in my raspberry patch. Mrs. Hen had found a nice cozy, secure place to lay her eggs. No wonder our egg count was low. She wasn't broody. She didn't keep them warm. She didn't protect them. Eventually they would get old, develop sufficient gas, and break (explode) with a nasty (sulfur smelling) odor. All that work... with no benefit. If she had laid them in the nesting box they would have at least gone to some one's table. Laid here they are good for little. (Well... actually I did the "egg test" and only seven had to be thrown away into the compost heap. The rest my family ate.)

I am wondering.... do I hide my "eggs" in a seemingly safe and beneficial spot? Am I harboring them... keeping them... using my time and energies and abilities well? Or am I like Mrs. Hen? Doing what seems natural and good? But in fact it is not. Will my "work" find it's way onto the compost bin or explode with a nasty smell?

I find lately that I am in a place in life where self evaluation is needed. Are my chosen activities and priorities the ones that will eventually lead me (my life) to joy and peace? Are they consistent with the truth? Are my short term goals leading to the ultimate goal of a life that has been God glorifying? Do I really follow the paths that direct me to His pleasure? Does God see my choices and say "I've made this wonderful cozy nesting box for you, why are you laying in the thorns?" Am I laying "my eggs" in hidden corners and dead end roads? Will my energies and passions result in superfluous activity and result in smelly compost? Or will they be jewels in a crown? "Well done" is what I long to hear.

"You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of joy; in your right hand are pleasures forevermore." (Psalm 16: 11)

Today's Journey Joy: reflections

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...