Monday, December 15, 2008

Pounding


I did it. It's been a long road. But I finally did it. I pounded the final grade into the university computer this morning. My semester course work is finished. No more grading papers, writing tests, preparing presentations, entering scores. The Fall 2008 semester is done. What a relief.

I remember when I was a student (many years ago) when I thought "Sure, Professor so-and-so gives us all this work and she (he) only has to grade it..." Whine, whine, whine. Now being on the other side.... well we "professors" whine, whine, whine about it as well. But really there is a lot more that goes into teaching at the university level than it might appear. I've been doing this now full time for 2 1/2 years. "They" say the third year is when it starts to get a little easier. Really? It was a lot easier when I was an adjunct. Prepare the class, give the class, give the test, grade the test. Done. Being full time requires meetings, meetings and more meetings. And many more academic duties.

The course load is heavier and the sense of responsibility for the ultimate program weighs heavily on me at times. These students will one day have a professional degree. The information and concepts they learn today will impact not only their future but the future of their clients (may be even me!). Have I bestowed in them a sense of wonder? Can they marvel at how amazing the human body was made? Do they see the grotesqueness of disease and pathology? The foreignness... the unright-ness of it? Have they caught the passion and joy of caring for people holistically? Physically, socially, emotionally, mentally and spiritually? Have I modelled compassion, empathy, competence, and professionalism? Are they excited about their future role? Do they see it as a job or a ministry?

Solomon once wrote: "...Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12) My students would probably agree. Perhaps I would as well.

But today instead of weariness I will chose joy. Today I will ponder my questions and gaze at the woodpecker. I'll drink my coffee and savor the cookies I finally was able to bake. I will clean the dining room and wash the floor. I'll rock in the chair and read the Word. I'll play my flute and peacefully rest. Yes, studying is a weariness. But Solomon goes on to summarize... "Fear God, and keep his commandments; for that is the whole duty of everyone." (Ecclesiastes 12:13)

Today's Journey Joy: final grades

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...