Saturday, December 6, 2008

Tucked in

Two weeks ago, before the big first snows, I was able to tuck the bees in for the winter. We had a relatively warm day (45 -50 degrees) and sunny. The eleven hives needed some attention before the cold of winter arrived. I quickly opened each one, placed a medium empty super on the two deeps, placed a piece of newspaper or thin cardboard on the top of the frames and poured 4-5 cups of granulated sugar on the cardboard. This technique allows for excess humidity to be absorbed on the sugar and cardboard and gives the bees some food if their honey stores run low during the winter. The next time we have a break in the cold (about a couple months from now) I will check on them again and probably add more sugar to some. This technique worked very well last year - 100% survival rate into the spring. I'm hoping for at least 50%. Some of the hives don't look as strong as I would have liked them to be at the end of the summer.

I'm wishing today that I could be "tucked in." I am tired from the never-ending work... at least that's how it feels. Everyone seems to have desires for my time and energy. My plate is full.... but cracking under pressure. Too much is piled high and there are few energy stores to tap. I wish that the house was clean, the laundry done (including the ironing), the garage empty of the things that need to go back to the shed, the papers graded, the scores tabulated, the final exams given, and every student successful at the university. I wish that the Christmas program had every part assigned and all the music picked out and practiced. I wish that the senior pastor search committee was making some decisions. I wish that there was more time to play board games and do needlepoint. I wish I could find space for my new scroll saw. I wish that the chicken coop cleaned itself... perhaps my children's rooms as well. I wish....

The beehive appears restful. In fact much is going on in there... if only we could see it. The quietness of the outside activity is not reflective of the inside activity. The bees are busy keeping warm and dry. They must keep their numbers high enough in order to make it through the long cold winter. Occasionally, on a warm day a few will come out and fly. "Cleansing flights" they are called. But today when the snow blows and it is cold... well, they are bundled up into a cluster generating heat... surviving.

So like the bees I will generate heat and survive. My wish list does not get done by me writing. But it does get prioritized. I'm thankful for this journaling today.

Journey Joy: Wishes

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...