Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Turkeys, flowers, and showers


Gobble, gobble, gobble.  Four toms and four hens. Every night, as evening fell, they would fly out of their coop and ten foot protective fence and land on the top of the children's swing set.  The girls would then take a flying leap to the roof of the house... Perching on the rain gutter or on the eaves until enough light in the morning would shine so that they could see to land.   And then every morning I would herd them up and coral them back to their coop. Needless to say the grass below the swing set will probably grow very well this year!  You'd think I'd just trim their wings so they couldn't fly.

Well those eight birds are in our freezer now and sadly I won't be getting anymore of these Bourbon Red heritage breed turkeys.  They are just to costly to raise.  If I ever do turkeys again it will probably be the broad breasted bronze or whites....but not this year. Too many unknowns.

I am trying very hard to scale back the farming this year.  It is hard.  I had plans last spring to plant a large beautiful perennial garden with foxglove, dianthus, lavender, campanula, and other lovely plants.  But when I found out that I had breast cancer.... I didn't order the plants.  I do have sunflower seeds, annual dianthus, and zinnias to plant.  We will at least have some flowers.  But the others will have to wait....

High of 16 degrees yesterday but I think we are on a warming trend.  Perhaps next weekend I can plant some greens and things in the hoop house.  Yet every plan is filtered through this strange journey of cancer and chemo.  How much energy do I have?  And is this where I want or should put it?

Today's Journey Joys: warming and sunny day, Burt's cookies, strategy of chess, worship music during chemo, crunchy green celery in tuna fish salad, warm caps for my cold head, and Ally-girl actually asking for a shower. :)

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...