Monday, March 24, 2014

Hardwood Flooring

Two more weeks of Taxol.   And a tiredness that sleep does not heal weighs heavily.  And even though the sun is bright, the temperatures crisp, and the day quiet, I simply want to rest. 

Perhaps it is the cold I started experiencing yesterday.  Stuffy nose and head.  Sneezing.

We've been working on getting the “other house” ready for sale. Two weeks ago we put in the hard maple wood flooring I ordered almost 14 years ago…. Yes, that’s right, 14 years ago.  I guess it took us awhile to finally get everything done (flooring goes in last, ya know).
Farmer husband Gary installing the first row.

Me stapling the flooring. Love that John Deere pink!

It’s a long, tedious, rather flexibility-challenging job.  Up. Down.  Pound. Tap.  Nail.  Not hard.  But long.  It took us probably 10 hours to complete.  Sure looks great now that it is in.  Just as I had imagined it.  Now, if we ever build our new home, I want more flooring like this in it.  Durable, easy to clean, and beautiful.  I’m pretty sure I will never find the deal I did in 2000 when I purchased it:  ¾ inch solid maple, 3 ¼ inch planks with aluminum oxide coating for finish for just over $2 a square foot.  It was a great deal.  I really like deals. 

This past weekend, after the carpet people came earlier in the week and installed the carpet, Gary and I installed the trim.  Well actually, Gary installed the trim.  I spackled, primed, sanded , and painted plinth blocks and trim.  I hope to sand the spackled trim next weekend and then put the final coat of paint on. Maybe that’s why I’m tired?  But I don’t think so.  Exercise is good.  Both for the body and the mind. 


Today’s Journey Joys: hatching eggs set, second leaves on tomatoes and peppers starts, aromatic coffee, almond M&Ms, automatic dishwashers, hugs from the ones I love.

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...