Thursday, March 20, 2014

Molting and Friends

 I took the opportunity today in our 50+ degree and sunny weather, to see the strawberries and pull a few winter weeds. Ah, it was good exercise on a day when my muscles are wobbly and my tummy is rumbly.

While out there a few of the chickens came to visit and gobble up seeds and uncover new emerging insects.  I think they feel safer when someone is with them.  The strawberry garden is quite out in the open.  This girl, poor thing.... she's molting.  I said to her, "Red, you're looking a little rough without any feathers."  She just looked at me with her head tilted to the side.  "You should talk!"  And I chuckled, for of course I do look a little funny without any hair.  And thankfully, both Red and I will one day be "adorned" again. She before me I'm afraid though.



On Tuesday my dear, dear friend Kathy came to visit me during my chemo infusion.  We laughed, and chatted, and connected.  It was thrilling to hear her adventures in Belize and her courage and faithfulness. She's amazing.  She would disagree,  I can hear her now, "You'd do it too, wouldn't you?"  Probably not, but maybe with her!

She encourages me. Helps ground me in Truth.  Prays.  And rejoices and cries with me.  When she left on Tuesday, before the medicine put me to lah-lah land, I told the nurse, "Kathy, she's the best.  She's closer than a sister, a great friend." Oh, and did I mention?  She makes the best Heath Bar cake! Yummy!


"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother (a sister!)." (Proverbs 18:24 ESV)

Today's Journey Joys:  sister-friend love, strawberries still green and growing in early spring, warm sunshine (really!), brown and black fluffy roly poly caterpillar under bark, muscles that can still pull weeds.

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...