Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cold and Hot

I’m cold.  Always cold….well, except for when the heat burns from within, rushing to the skin in a flash of overwhelming warmth.  Hot flashes.  Most interesting sensation.  Occurs within seconds.  Lasts minutes.  And leaves my skin damp and red.  Most unusual.  Happens mostly at night, which is unfortunate because it often wakes me up.  Fling the covers off; then fling them back on a few minutes later.   Roll over.  Go back to sleep. One of the side effects of chemo I s'pose.

Forgive me my dear menopausal friends for ever laughing when your skin turned red and dark and the sweat came off your brow.  When you grabbed a fan, or made one with your hand, in an attempt to cool yourself.  Forgive me. I was a fool.  I did not know how most unpleasant those sensations were. 

This winter has been oh-so-cold.  A record snow fall and more coming this weekend.  Polar vortex.  How do our Canadian friends stand this cold?  They must be made of sturdier stuff than this former Wisconsin native.  But at least the sky is sunny.  The daylight is longer.  The geese are returning (although I’m not sure why given the -4 morning temperature today.  Where do they land?).  And we are snuggled up in a cozy warm home. And most exciting of all, I will start the tomatoes and peppers this weekend. Look out Spring!


Today’s Journey Joys: bee’s wax melting in the make-shift light bulb melter, medications to soothe queasiness, son’s dramatic practice, Ally-girl full of giggles and surprise,  soft, thick flannel sheets, oh-so-cozy, and Frosty the cat with giant meows.

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...