Monday, February 24, 2014

Oh where is my hairbrush?

"A hair in the head is worth two in the bush." (William Hazlitt)

December 2013 "before chemo"

The great hair cut.  It was a fun and "sassy" do.  I think I may go back to this when all is said and done.

But alas, six weeks of chemo and my "sassy" was gone.  Too many globs of hair in the shower, bed,
chair, shoulders, sweaters.... shall I go on?

No hiding with this! More gone every day.
The "wig" comes on Wednesday. 
"Mommy, you look weird." Ally said for the twentieth time.  I take a deep breath in.  Very cognizant of the fact that living with very little hair is strangely cold and odd.  "Yes, it is unusual not seeing girls with any hair." I reply again, for the twentieth time.  Inwardly feeling diminished somehow.

My friend Debi, who graciously has cut my hair twice now, accompanied me to the wig store.  At first I had difficulty even knowing what to do.  I mean really.  How does one go about putting a wig on?  Or choosing one?  I had these horrible visions of monster hair looking like an over sized carpet or animal on my head.  Yikes! But Lauri, the wig lady, was most gentle and gracious and knew her stuff.  She and Debi stepped me through the process of picking out a "product" which would suit me and with which I would be comfortable.  

I don't intend to wear it every day.  Probably just to church, certain occasions, and to work. In the meantime I either wear these super soft cotton caps (which really do make you look like a chemo patient) or my John Deere pink baseball cap....depends on how cold it is.

Learning to embrace the journey.

Today's Journey Joys: crystallized honey in the warmer, folded clothes, longer sunlight hours, a glider chair, warm showers, and a good night's sleep.

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...