Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A "terribly sincere pumpkin patch "

"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. " James 3:17

Linus is probably my favorite character in the Charles Schulz's Peanut series. He is sensitive to others, strong in his faith, unassuming in his relationships and bold in communicating his morals. I still choke up today when Linus tells the Christmas story on that big stage all by himself.

Perhaps not very "Christianly" Linus' attraction to the Great Pumpkin is humbling. The story is told that every year the Great Pumpkin (kind of like a Santa Claus figure) visits the world over to find the most terribly sincere pumpkin patch and when he finds it will bestow great gifts to the children who wait for him. Linus is ridiculed and laughed upon for his faith in this mystical, unseen, and unbelieved figure. Yet Linus is steadfast in his faith. This year, he says, his field will be the most "terribly sincere pumpkin patch" and this year the Great Pumpkin will rise from the field and.... well, you know the rest of the story.

My pumpkin patch has survived the vine borers (after a little surgery on the vines) and seems to be victorious in the battle against the squash bugs (you know, those nasty little critters that look like they have armour on them). I planted nastergiums in hopes of keeping those critters at bay. I think it helped some... There are many large pumpkins out there. I counted at least a half a dozen from one hill alone and each one looks over 18 inches in diameter. They sure are fun to watch grow. The photo above shows them when they were still green... they're starting to turn orange now... a certain sign of autumn fast approaching. But I wonder if my pumpkin patch is sincere?

What will I do with these pumpkins you ask? Not much really. I usually give some away, use some for decoration and occasionally carve them in pretty fall patterns. I planted a different kind of pumpkin to harvest for eating. It's a small yummy sugar pumpkin that makes great pie and bread. They're not as impressive to look at being only about 6 inches in diameter... but they make great eating. Also, my friend Stacy suggested that roasted pumpkins seeds make a wonderful snack. Perhaps I'll try that this year too.

But getting back to sincerity.... I am struck today how important being sincere is to the Lord. Now this sincerity is not the kind that one can conjure up and "really believe". That's not what God is talking about here... there are many people who are sincere.... sincerely wrong.... but the sincerity that God speaks about is centered on His wisdom and His love. Sincerity doesn't stand alone... it must be intertwined with the other characteristics of a follower of Christ.... then one has truly obtained some Godly wisdom. The pumpkin patch reminds me... Linus reminds me... that although sincerity is important it is much more important to know the One from whom faith is centered on. A life changed by Him and centered on Him .... a heart and life that is pure, peace loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy, impartial and full of good fruit. Lord, may I have a sincere heart today... may it reflect Your wisdom.

Today's journey joy - sincere Godly wisdom

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...