Monday, September 22, 2008

Carrots


I'm wondering if every fruit and vegetable in the fall is orange? Muskmelon, squash, pumpkin, and... carrots. Well, not every carrot is orange. This year I planted some of those "purple carrots". I thought they might add some aesthetics to my salads. The "skin" is deep purple but the center is orange. When they are cooked or heated they turn orange... actually I think the purple just comes off.

I dug up the carrots on Saturday. Would somebody remind me to please plant longer varieties next year? These are delicious and very colorful but quite difficult to peel. I like to make "carrot noodles"... at least that's what my daughter likes to call them. As you peel the carrot the peel comes off in a long ringlet. Pretty cool. Ahhh, not these. These were short little strokes that took a long time.

I put the carrots (both purple and orange) into my quart canning jars, added a touch of salt and placed them in the pressure cooker for 30 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure. We will have yummy carrots this winter. Now if only I could get the next bushel of carrots peeled and canned....

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...