Monday, May 24, 2010

Spring continues....

The hills roll and spring forth with life. As if to say, "Ah.... that was a long rest." The grass stretches its blades, seeking to seed and spread yet again. The apple blossoms are a-buzz with bee activity, trying to get some more nectar and pollen for the early spring build up.

And my wonderful and helpful farmer husband (although he always says, "She's the farmer; I'm the farmer's husband."), neatly sweeps up the first cutting of the rye grass we planted last fall. The old apple orchard was cleaned of 50+ year old despairing fruit trees and replaced temporarily with winter rye grass.... until this spring when we started replanting the orchard. The grass was used as mulch for the 16-1800 potato seeds I planted. They are growing beautifully. The rest of the orchard will hold pumpkins and popcorn. And then next year 25 more fruit trees and transplantation of black raspberries.

It is hot today. That spring morning pictured above was over a month ago. Now the trees have tiny fruit, the grass has been mowed and swept a second time and the potatoes are awaiting their next mulching. The old orchard soil has yet to be turned though for the planting. I am torn between planting melons and squash and preparing the soil. Which to do first? I planted about 1/4 acre of various types of dried beans yesterday. And about 45 tomato plants (more to plant still). The peppers, squash, melons and okra (not for me thank you!) have yet to be planted.... but it's 90 degrees today and bright and sunny. Maybe later this afternoon when the sun gets lower in the sky.... But the seeds can go in. We are expecting rain tomorrow afternoon. I suspect the rain will be accompanied by big thunder booms.... summer is fast approaching.

And still I ramble.... the bees we brought across from the other side of the road have adjusted well. We have had only one small swarm 2 weeks ago which was readily captured. We have split and split our hives this year in the hopes that they would not swarm. I think I am getting to old to be climbing ladders. And besides, it's a lot easier to split. By the way, the swarm that I got out of the lady's garage about 20 miles south of here earlier this week is now happily collecting pollen and nectar at my friend Stacy's house. This week I will go over there and move them to their first deep. Hopefully, they will build up comb quickly and maybe even get a honey harvest from them. I think my friend and her family would like that.... honey from their property. Yum.

And still I ramble.... it's only getting hotter. Time to put the sun screen on, drink a couple glasses of water and jump on the tractor. From afar I will savor the wonder of those potato plants growing their deep green and long for the blueberries to ripen. I may stop and pick a few strawberries along the way. The heat makes them ripen fast and sweetly. Enjoy your day my friends.

Today's Journey Joy - Bustle of spring planting in a beautiful warm (hot) day.

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...