Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mulching and planting

My gator has been a blessing and a work horse. It has never been stuck, only had one flat tire, zips up and around all our hills, and hauls and hauls and hauls. My farmer husband busily scoops oak mulch into five gallon buckets and tarps. Then I haul it out to the blueberry field and replace the old mulch. Last year's mulch was much too thin in places and in some places nonexistent! Hence, tons and tons of weeds. I have made a promise to myself that the blueberry field will never be like that again. We have spent way too much time weeding already this spring. But the mulch will certainly help. Every time I take the gator to the blueberry field I fill up about 12 five gallon buckets and deliver them to the most needed spot. We're making progress.

Yesterday, I spent almost the entire day rototilling. It always seems to take longer than one would think possible. I did manage to get some purple beans, watermelon, acorn squash, zucchini and yellow summer squash and yummy cantaloupe in. This morning I rotilled the apple orchard area where I had tilled yesterday and planted yellow popcorn (let the popcorn saga begin!). I also have planted the Tanja burpless cucumbers starts next to the trellis my hard working husband and son put in for me. Next comes the tomatoes and peppers.

I mentioned yesterday to my husband, "I'm running out of ground...." Meaning literally, ground. I have almost used all of the tilled area already and have not planted the pumpkins. And they take sooooo much room. I may be tilling again.
The storms that hot humid weather foster are coming today. The horizon is already hazy and cloud filled. Back to planting....
Today's Journey Joy - experiencing the wonder of planting

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...