Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's canning time!

The wonderful thing about string beans is that they never seem to stop. Once they start producing they keep going and growing, and going and growing. So much so that those that are ready throughout the week must be picked and preserved.

This year I have grown both the purple beans and my favorite "Blue Lake" pole beans. Both are very tasty and very pretty. At the market I often get asked, "What's that?" as the individual points to the quart of purple beans. Then I go into this repeated story of how they are just like the green beans but have a little more vitamin A and (I think) a little more bean flavor (especially the little ones). I then explain that the purple color disappears with extremes of temperature (both very cold and hot). So that when the beans are steamed or cooked the purple beans look just like a green bean. Kids love 'em because they are different and fun to watch change color.

Sometimes it is a hard sell but lately more people at the market are adventurous and trying new and unfamiliar items. Good for me since I will have a few "blue potatoes" in a week or so. They stay blue even when they are heated. That might be a little weird.... eating blue potatoes. Don't we throw them out usually when they look like that? Ah, the new and unusual. Isn't that what experiencing life is about? Dare. Dream. Experience. Embrace.

Today's Journey Joy: Trying new things

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...