Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The garden grows

The tomato cages continue to be made and installed (thanks my honey!). And they are beginning to ripen. I can hardly wait to taste that first red, juicy, and sweet tomato. Others have already had their tomatoes ripen. But I got them in late, didn't weed them well, didn't fertilize until recently (who knew that a previous hay field wouldn't have enough magnesium and calcium?). But out of the 77 plants all but 7 are beginning to produce fruit and start to ripen. Within the next month I should have tomatoes coming out of my ears! Early girls, beefsteaks, super beefsteaks (delicious is their name), and Amish paste tomatoes. I hope to put enough ingredients together to make "salsa kits" at the market. The jalapenos are ripening, the garlic is harvested, the onions are available. I just need a little cilantro. That might be a problem. They are buried under weeds.

Cinderella squash.... just something a little different. Not the best for eating but they do make good decorations. These where planted from leftover seeds (2 years ago!)

The pole beans are going crazy! I love pole beans. I think they are just a bit tastier than their bush cousins. But the best thing is that they are much easier to pick. After this photo I picked about 10 pounds of delicious green pole beans (Blue Lake, of course).

This Connecticut pumpkin is fast turning orange. Wow. It looks like it weighs about 15-20 pounds. Should be pretty. There are dozens more where that comes from.

The broccoli, cauliflower, and red cabbage are nearing their end. I will harvest much this weekend. The cabbage is "red" but frankly, I think it should be called purple! It has been a joy learning how to grow these organically. I'm not always successful with the broccoli though. Last weekend I found 5 of those little worms in one head! Yikes! Glad I got them before my customer did.

Journey joys are found everywhere. One only needs to look. Pause. Contemplate. Reflect.
Today's Journey Joy: The harvest is nearing

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...