Thursday, August 14, 2008

Surprise! Surprise!

"But as for that in the good soil, these are the ones who, when they hear the word, hold fast in an honest and good heart and bear fruit with patient endurance." Luke 8:15

We purchased our small twenty one acre farm in the fall of 2004. In the spring of 2005 I planted a nectarine tree (the sweet juicy fruit is fabulous). The poor tree has been virtually ignored in the busyness of life and work of starting the farm. I think I pruned it a little last year. It is about seven feet tall with less than desirable branching angles and surrounded by three foot tall grass that needs to be removed. Earlier this spring some of the leaves were covered in some sort of scabby, bumpy disease or infestation. Again, I was too busy or distracted to do anything about it. So when the children and I went for a stroll to investigate the ripeness of the wild grapes along the driveway I was surprised to see some red color in the small tree. "Is that a nectarine?" I exclaim. "No, it's probably just some early changing leaves since the tree is not the healthiest" I thought to myself. But as we got closer and I reached out and touched it, sure enough, a small baseball sized firm yellow-red nectarine was growing. The aroma was irresistible. It is now on the counter finishing its ripening. (I was afraid the myriad of birds would find it and peck a bazillion holes in it). Our first nectarine! Yum.

"Bear fruit with patient endurance..." It is remarkable how this little tree endured and still bore fruit. Against bugs, disease, choking grass, and neglect the dwarf nectarine tree did what it was designed to do...bear fruit. So with "a honest and good heart" I too will "hold fast" and prayerfully and joyfully bear fruit today "with patient endurance." Will my fruit be sweet and juicy? ☺

Today's journey joy - the first nectarine!

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...