Thursday, August 21, 2008

Keep your clothes on


"But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you - you of little faith?" (Matthew 6:30)

How come I fret and worry over silly things? What should I wear? Will the other students like my daughter? Will they be kind? Will she? Will the chickens lay eggs soon? Will the corn be harvested before the worms attack or the racoons? Will the squash and pumpkins survive the squash vine borers? Will my house ever get clean? Will my son like school this year?

Why do I concern myself with these things? They take so much mental and emotional energy. A weight dragging my soul......

Queen Anne's lace is considered a weed in this part of the country. It has deep roots and sends its seed out every autumn. But in the midsummer it has a beautiful, delicate, white lacy flower (hence the name). The honey bees do not care for it but some other bees or flying insects do seem to like it. Yet the plant is prolific and spreads everywhere. Still, I like 'em.

Gently swaying in the breeze...blooming (smiling?) even in the rain...perhaps that's what draws me to this "weed." Queen Anne's lace doesn't know it is a weed. It grows & blooms gracefully without worry. It reflects the majesty of its Creator as it lines the pastures of our farm with beauty. But sometimes I feel like a weed. Misplaced, unwanted, unworthy... like a weed. But His gentle and loving voice speaks to my heart... "I clothe the wildflowers. Do you see their beauty? Can you savor their eagerness? Their joy? I care for them... even more, I care for and love you."

May I keep the clothing of God on today and remove the clothing of anxiousness, worry, and fear. That is my prayer. Jesus reminds me, "Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well." Keep your clothes on today.. the ones you were given.

Today's journey joy - beautiful flowers

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...