Saturday, July 4, 2009

Farmer's Market

On Monday - weed. On Tuesday - weed. On Wednesday - weed and pick berries. On Thursday - weed. On Friday - weed and pick berries and produce for Farmer's Market. On Saturday.... the Farmer's Market.

I've had some interesting experiences at the Farmer's Market this year. I don't bring much (yet). At first, just a flat of strawberries. Then a little more strawberries. And then some strawberries and black and red raspberries and apple wood chips (for smoking). Today some red and black raspberries and some German Giant radishes. Not much to take but... I am learning:

1. People are very interesting. I enjoy interacting, laughing, and discussing the products around the market.

2. The weather is unpredictable and determinative. On my first market day, it was beautiful.. The second market day was sunny for the first hour and then tons of rain. The third market was another sunny, hot beautiful day. I said to my son, "We are definitely bringing our canopy next week." And today.... ccccoooollllld and wet and cloudy. The first three weeks there were many people at the market. So many that I sold out in usually one hour. Today... there may have been 50-60 people there all morning. I came home with two pints of black raspberries.

3. The Farmer's Market is business. Vendors are constantly checking to see what your prices are, what your products are, and how they look. Today, a new vendor (to me) stated quite boldly that my prices were much too low and that I needed to raise them. That was strange to me. I did raise them somewhat but not to the level he wanted. I will have to think harder about changing (what I consider a fair market value) at the market. I know why he wanted the price higher.... and I'm all for making a profit.... but it seemed high. (But it was not the reason I went home with fruit though.)

4. I need to get my produce into the soil earlier so that I can get them to market earlier. Those who bring the "first" to the market sell the best.

5. I need help weeding. Time to invest in a commercial grade rototiller.


The cabbages are growing.... and so are the weeds. But it is a joy to see them mature. Remember when they were just tiny shoots? In a week or so I will harvest. That's exciting.

Today's Journey Joy - learning at the Farmer's Market

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...