Monday, January 12, 2009

Simple Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

Several people who previously read "Makin' Bread" have asked for the recipe. Now isn't that the ultimate compliment? I remember this summer when a sweet friend asked me for my potato salad recipe. I said, "Suzy, no one ever asks me for a recipe!" It's not that I'm a terrible cook... it is just usually that I am a "plain" cook. Nothing too exciting. Tasty, nutritious (most of the time... although I love a good "cinnabomb" too!) and wholesome. Meat, squash, corn, carrots, beans, peas, etc. Things that I can grow in my garden or raise in the yard. I am usually the one who is asking for the recipe. So since my friends have graced me with a blessing, I will happily share the recipe from which I made the bread. It is not mine... no, of course not. I found it on Allrecipes.com. It was reviewed by over 300 people and everyone of them rated it as 5 out of 5. That sounded like something I could do! Enjoy!

Ingredients
3 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
2 (0.25 ounce) packages of active dry yeast
1/3 c. of honey or sugar
5 cups of bread flour

3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 c. of honey or sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast and 1/3 cup of honey (or sugar). Add 5 cups of white bread flour and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes or until big and bubbly.
2. Mix in 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup of honey (or sugar) and salt. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour. Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour until not real sticky - just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to the touch. This may take an additional 2-4 cups of whole wheat flour. (This is where I deviated a bit. My Kitchen Aid mixer does most of the work. I just add 3 cups of whole wheat flour (total) and let the dough hook "knead" the dough for about 10 minutes. Does a great job!)
3. Place in greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with dishtowel. Let rise in a warm placed until doubled.
4. Punch down, and divide into 3 loaves. Place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans and all to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch (I let them rise a little taller).
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes; do not over bake. Lightly brush the tops of the loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter to prevent crust from getting hard. (I have not done this and the bread crust is still soft). Cool completely. Gobble and enjoy (that was my addition to the recipe!)

Hope you enjoy as well.

Today's Journey Joy - sharing recipes!

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...