Sunday, January 11, 2009

Makin' Bread

This is a new adventure for me. Making and baking bread. I was blessed with a professional Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas. I have always wanted one. Projects always go better when you have the right tools. Baking bread is no exception. Having a power machine and a dough hook surely makes preparing bread an enjoyable experience. And an easy one. Baking our own bread is also one of my goals - to eat simply and wholesomely
But baking bread from raw ingredients is new to me. The closest I ever got to baking fresh bread was popping one of those Pillsbury crescent roll canisters against my counter top. Needless to say, the learning curve is quite steep at this point. The first two weeks of "attempts" were, what I would refer to as, "hearty". In other words, the bread didn't rise very much. Made great toast though. But now I am starting to get the hang of it. (Although I think I need a better and bigger rising bowl.) My son loves pounding down the dough after the first rise. Actually, both of my children want to be the one who makes the dough implode.
The bread is warm, soft and yummy. One of the loaves didn't even make it to the bread container / bag for storage. The biggest loaf was "inhaled" mostly by my bread loving husband and son. There is nothing like freshly baked wheat bread with melted butter and unprocessed fresh honey on top. Oh, yum.
Today's Journey Joy - warm wheat bread

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...