Monday, January 11, 2016

Frames and Words

Source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjVX9YANgxTwV_b70orqUEqsxae3ThedvGxcQZk7URnAXBLMrDeTnjFdqkZar8zptwSSe89AIIonddRS9hG1f5eLif5cYUPaTMrBY5iqKhrdR_uAIZBhJdmtT2pOUb3SproMqAVvNT2Vr4A/s1600/wall+of+frames+8.jpg

Frames.  They set boundaries and simultaneously focus attention.  Sometimes ornate and beautiful; sometimes simple and unassuming. Each created to hold something, to highlight something, or someone.  Frames are not only physical or tangible.  They can be metaphorical, abstract, or conceptual. 

“So what are your goals this year Chris?” Beth asks as we enjoy our Mexican meal at a local restaurant, seated in a wooden booth with a dark wooden table top and warm lighting. Spicy chicken and avocado sandwich wrap and cheese enchiladas.  I thought about it briefly.  Moments before Beth had outlined specific goals for her annual development in measurable and ambitious fashion.  She encased them all within her “word” for the year. (For the life of me I can’t remember that word!)  Impressive though.  Her analytical mind a wonder to behold.  I loved hearing her longing for growth in the facets of her being – physical, emotional, spiritual, social and mental.  Her goals, aspirations, specific tasks to reach the goal, and her heart for the desire to become who she was created to be were truly remarkable. Inspiring.  So with a pause in the conversation and a return to her meal she asked, “So what are your goals this year Chris?”

“Ah, well, my goals are a little more “directional” rather than specific ones,” I mumbled out a little sheepishly. I explained, “I’ve made holistic goals, with measurable results and specificity for decades now.  What I find is that I typically make them too lofty, too unattainable and at the same time not expansive enough.”  Beth nods, listening with a smile and an upward twinkle in her deep brown eyes.  “My goals are….” And I proceed to describe the direction I wish to head in 2016. 

Healthy.

My word for the year.  Healthy. The frame which will encapsulate my life choices, decisions, thoughts, meditations and direction.  This year my daily query will be, “Is this healthy?”  “Is this decision or action (or whatever...) in the best interest of being healthy?”   


When I am planning and making meals – are my choices health – full?  Do they improve my health and the health of my family?

When I am sitting in my chair, grading papers, writing remarks, preparing presentations, am I focused?  Or are my thoughts wondering, emotions disturbed, harboring negativity or criticism towards my students? Are these thoughts healthy for me?  For them?

When I am learning new skills, (for example growing table grapes, using raised beds and plastic mulch, growing currants, and vegetarian cooking – all skills which I am growing in this year), are my choices and efforts healthy?  Do I put enough emphasis on the development of these skills?  What do I need to do to be more healthy in this area?

When I consider my daily exercise – an area in which I have struggled my entire life – is my activity or choice of inactivity improving my health?  What amount would be healthy? 


When I desire to grow in my knowledge and relationship with Christ – are my daily practices healthy?  Anemic?  Well rounded?  Am I developing or stagnating? A plant that doesn’t grow, dies.  Am I investing in the lives of those around me?  Are my decisions for spiritual growth healthy?

Healthy

My daily, mundane decisions will go through this filter – healthy.  “Is what I am about to do, is what I am thinking, is what I am watching, is what I am meditating on, is what I am considering….. is it healthy?

No, I do not have specific goals –some would say they are not goals at all - a little nebulous. Yet they are directional, framed.  

“And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man.” (Luke 2:52)

Growing in all these areas.  This is healthy.  This is good.

Today's Journey Joys: filthy gloves cleaned with dirt speckled suds, pounds and pounds of free ranged, pastured scrumptious turkey, the start of a woman's bible study this evening, shopping the edges of the grocery store where whole foods are, renewable wood burning furnace keeping our home cozy warm, hot cups of steamy coffee.

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...