Thursday, March 12, 2009

It has begun!

It has begun.... The robins have returned. Their musical calls ring out in the midmorning sun and throughout the day. A few brave buds have begun greening. The snow covered fields have long lost their white blanket. And the ground is thawing. Mud, water, struggling weeds (already). But is has begun. Spring. There is hope.

Along with warmer temperatures, rain, and longer sunlight hours, my hopes and aspirations for a fabulous and productive garden abound. No, I do not have a greenhouse, or a cold frame, or access to a nursery with all my desired plants. I have a couple of card tables, tongue blades, fresh potting soil, wonderful seeds and a couple of flourescent grow lights. It may not seem like much. But it is a start. I've started the earliest vegetables... cauliflower (both the Amazing and Cheddar varieties), broccoli, cabbage (red and the typical green), and egg plant ("dusky"). Next weekend I will start the peppers (all five varieties) and the tomatoes (four varieties). I'll probably have to start a few flowers as well. Soon, the table will be growing with green sprouts. The fields will be tilled, the mulch prepared, the rows will be planted...Ok, I'm getting carried away.... that's many weeks ahead.

In the meantime I will take photos of the "garden" and enjoy the joy in tending the vegetables.

Today's Journey Joy: Beginnings

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...