Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sky gazing

There's something about a sunset that calms and quiets my soul. Makes me pause. "Look at me!" it beckons. And I do. I stop the frenetic activity of grading papers, making supper, folding clothes, feeding chickens, cats and dogs, cleaning house... "Look at me!" it implores. How can I not? What color. What beauty. What a lovely wrapping for the close of the day. I understand the science... how light rays refract and reflect off of tiny particles in the atmosphere. But that knowledge does not diminish the wonder. Perhaps this comparison of science and beauty is an argument in favor of beauty. I can reduce the sunset to one of molecules, energy and dust...still pretty neat. Or I can savor in the aesthetics and ponder in the painted sky. Can I do both? Not well. At least not simultaneously. Perhaps others can. Perhaps my brain can not contemplate both at the same time. Perhaps it needs training...or perhaps I should simply rest in the truth that we, as created beings, can marvel in the amazing. No other creature seems to be able to do it. Can this be part of the expressed image of God found within us?

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...