Thursday, February 12, 2009

Learning to Lay

For the past several weeks our hens hatched out in August have been learning to lay. Most of them have it down fairly well. Out of 33 hens we get an average of 28 eggs per day. That's pretty good for February! Today I found the tiniest little brown egg. I wonder who layed it? I have never seen such a teeny little chicken egg (unless you're talking about a bantam).
Of course we had to see what was in it. Could it have a yolk? Was the egg shell strong? Well as one can see the "yolk" was not yellow but pale to clear. It was very hard to break. My fingers were too big to daintily crack it....hence the egg shell shard near the "yolk". I wonder what she'll lay tomorrow.
Today's journey joy: Egg surprises

Melancholy

I shouldn't write when I'm feeling like this.  Emotionally fragile and oscillating between tears, fears, and frustration.  Yet ...